My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://giantpanther.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Your Tour Guide - Heartless Bastards

It's been a busy week and I'm just catching up so I'll probably rapid fire a few posts out the next couple of days. I've got about ten things I want to blog about, but sometimes things happen and the timing of them supersedes everything. Last Tuesday I took in The Heartless Bastards show at Great Scott in Allston, MA. I'd link you to their site, but they don't put nearly enough effort into it so you'll have to take my word for it that it exists. I hadn't been there in FOREVER, but it's a good venue. Especially when you had room to move and enjoy the concert.

A little background on this show. I promised to suspend drinking for the month of January for no particular reason other than to drop a few pounds. Mission accomplished. 33 days, 15 pounds and $500 in bar bills saved later I was ready for The Heartless Bastards show. February 3rd turned out to be my re-entry into the stratosphere. I sat out the Superbowl even though I was eligible and had visions of extending it another two weeks when the show came up like a high hurdle at a track meet. White Men Can't Jump. My friend Marc and I decided to take in the show even as a minor four to six inch snow storm hit The Hub. It was a mere dusting as snow storms around here go and I was never in question, but you never know how someone else is going to view the conditions. Fortunately Marc was game. We strolled in around 11 PM and no sooner had we ordered a round the music began. I dream of timing like that. Great Scott is nice dive bar and I felt right at home instantly. It's not for crowds of over 200 people, but the snow storm held down the traffic and the sound was great. Now mind you, the only time I got to actually SEE the band was when I used the men's room, but outside that restrooms you could see very well. Once you were there though you were there and there wasn't exactly waitress service back there. I spent the entire show about 25 yards from the action with a limited view, but I didn't mind. Some folks from Austin, TX were there on a whim and filled me in on Erica Wennerstrom's love life and subsequent relocation. Stupid me; not being up on the personnel and city changes. No matter. I didn't even notice from a musical standpoint, but I don't want to offend any former members. I was socializing my brains out as usual and had a great time at the show. I really like Austin, TX too. It's young and vibrant and caters to the Blues. What else is there?

I think my friend Marc, who didn't come out of his shoes over the Heartless Bastards when I first mentioned them and loaded them on his iPod, but I think he benefited from seeing them live. Their new record, The Mountain, was just recently released and once again the critics (I don't consider myself a critic by any stretch...I'm a fan, period) are relatively favorable. I have listened to this records maybe ten times so far and I'm having trouble picking a clear favorite. Some would consider this a bad thing, but not me. That means it's pretty steady for my money. This band is going to have a hard time topping Stairs and Elevators in my mind, but this seems like a step back in the right direction versus All The Time (their second CD). Note to Erica; I want to hear you rocking. I was to hear that great urgency in your voice straining to hit the notes. Blues are almost ballads by definition sometimes, but I want rockin' Blues. I think this band has a lot of potential and Austin, TX is the perfect place for them. Chicago, Memphis, and Clarkesdale were probably the only alternatives. I'm looking for growth in the coming years. I hope they can sustain. Buy The Mountain and go see this band if you like a great female lead vocal on top of a solid working garage blues band. I'm talking to YOU Austin, TX. Enjoy...

P.S. Don't miss The Heartless Bastards National TV debut on David Letterman Tuesday the 10th! That's this Tuesday at roughly 11:35 PM EST.

Heartless Bastards - The Mountain.mp3

Heartless Bastards- The Mountain.mp3 YSI

www.thehearlessbastards.com

No comments: