My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://giantpanther.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 23, 2009

One Track Mind - Tom Dickie & The Desires

I feel like blogging once an hour for the rest of my existence. That's physically impossible, but, as The Cowboy Junkies used to say, ('Cause) Cheap is How I Feel. I'm taking the Way Back Machine all the way back to my third full year in Beantown. In 1981, a record so old that Amazon.com is totally clueless about what month it came out, Tom Dickie & The Desires released an album called Competition. I couldn't tell you a single other cut on this record, but I can tell you it wasn't the worst record I ever heard. I can tell you Strawberries, a record chain in the northeast nobody remembers today, had a Midnight Madness sale and yours truly purchased the record based on one song. One. Downtown Talk was a ROCKIN' tune. Among the very best of 1981 that the Boston area was playing on AOR radio. I don't know if it was WBCN or WCOZ, but Downtown Talk rocked my 21 year old ass back to the stone age. Laugh if you want, but this NYC band had a huge impact on this youngster. I didn't need another tune. It doesn't have the same long term resonance of Turning Japanese or any other massive one hit wonder song, but this song will never be forgotten by my circle of friends.

In 1981 I was even younger and more naive than I am today. I spent my days on the beach and my nights being Johnny Nacho. That didn't help me with the Pretty in Pink girl, but I was 145 lbs of liquid dynamite (or so I thought) at the time. This is probably the most obscure tune I have posted to date, but I can assure you I am not done. I've got an arsenal of forgotten classics in my collection that would embarrass The Lost 45's program. I feel like every day that goes by I'm missing a chance to reinstate a tune that deserves a lot more billing than Funky Cold Medina (no slight to Tone Loc...I'm dead serious on that note...I love the Funky Cold Medina). I've got no history to report on Tom Dickie. They had maybe three albums and nothing has been reprinted on CD to my knowledge. Still, Downtown Talk is in my personal Hall of Fame without a doubt. It's not even a one hit wonder...it was regional tune that just rockin' my world. More than half you won't even recognize it. I don't care. This tune was TREMENDOUS. I can still remember rocking to this tune on Nahant Beach in Massachusetts. Go ahead, cackle if you must, but I will stand by this tune until I'm six feet under. I hope I can jog some memories, but failing that I hope I can turn just one person onto this song. Great stuff to this day. This was Boston in 1981. It was played right next to I Will Follow no lie.


9 comments:

alpo said...

Hey, great post. I remember this song, and I remember Strawberries (I used to work there!)Heck, I probably saw you at the Midnight Madness sale. Can't wait now for someone to post The Rings "I Need Strange". Thanks, Giant Panther...

John Jay said...

I CAN DO THAT! Gimmie Some Time Boss...

R said...

Worst opening act I ever saw (they were on the bill with Cheap Trick). I still shudder...

Unknown said...

I never thought I'd hear this song/band again! What I can tell you is at 42, this song still kicks ass! I saw them open for Hall & Oates at UPenn's Spring Fling at the Palestra in say...sometime late 70's/early, early 80's? I do know that Tommy Mottola was managing them along with Hall & Oates and I too ran out to buy the vinyl LP the next day....thanks for putting this up.

Tom Dickie....who would've thought!

John Jay said...

Hey Keith - Thanks for your comments. I love it when a six month old post finds a new fan. I keep meaning to do more of these buried treasure mind jogging one hit wonders, but then something else comes up. I almost wish this was my full time job so I could really go at it. I'm glad I'm not alone in my affection for Downtown Talk. For me, it's wicked nostalgic as they say here in the Northeast. Thanks again for stopping by and reading our blog!

Tom said...

Hey Guys,
I'm really glad that people have taken to Downtown Talk so much. The Desires and I have always been really proud of that track, and it's great to hear how much other people have liked it.Mike Roy's guitar solo is a real standout for me, as is Micky Currie's drums. The sound is a good representation of Electric Lady Studios where it was cut, and producer Martin Rushent made sure we didn't embarass ourselves.
By the way..... I hope that "R" can someday stop shuddering. That's obviously not the lasting effect we were looking for.
Tom

John Jay said...

Hey Tom - I just love the Internet sometimes. It's great when someone I take the time to post about is pointed in our direction to see that they haven't been forgotten. Love that you stopped by! And forget about "R"...I get a lot of negative posts from folks with seemingly nothing better to do than to call me out on some typo. Even if you did have a bad night so what? Everyone does. I bet "R" didn't write a great song like Downtown Talk. I'm glad you are still proud of it because otherwise I'd have to second guess my song worship choices!...take care...

Chris said...

I love this record (bought it at Strawberries, in fact). It is a solid listen especially "Downtown Talk" so much so that my band covered it on our 2nd CD and it remained in our live show for the duration of the band. I also always loved "Inside Your Someone Else" anyway its great to see these lost gems from the early '80's appreciated.
Remember "The Rings"?

John Jay said...

Hey Chris - Thanks for reading. Poke around the web site a bit and you will a Rings post. Cheers!