My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://giantpanther.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 23, 2009

My Insipid Record Collection - The Rings

Ask and you shall receive! I posted a song by Tom Dickie & The Desires last night and I got a rare comment. Somebody mentioned that they can't wait for somebody to post The Rings song I Need Strange from 1981. Done and done my friend. For those who don't know anything about this band you are not alone. The Rings were fairly hot in Boston from 1979 to 1982 when they broke up. This record was no one hit job though. I could have posted My Kinda Girl, Watch You Break, Opposites Attract, Let Me Go or Third Generation and it's doubtful anyone would have known the difference. This is no cut out bin record; you can't even find this thing and I don't believe it was ever out on CD. They had one more great song called Uh Oh Here I Go Again on their next release, The Rhythm Method, before finally breaking up. MCA took a chance on these guys and I don't care how many records it didn't sell; this was a great record. I still enjoy listening to it to this day. I never saw them live and I couldn't name one band member without researching it, but this record was a blast. I'm going to keep this one short since I'm running low on time today, but I just couldn't resist a near real time request. I'm more than happy to try and do this going forward, but don't expect the same lightning quick results. How about that? I take requests...enjoy!


3 comments:

Dickie Wallace said...

I still have the vinyl for the sake of nostalgia tucked in the basement, but I don't have a turntable set up and its probably so scratched after pulling it out of the fire in my dorm in 1984...
... I still ask myself, "Do you know opposites attract?" and "Is there a rhythm to this method? Is there a method to this rhythm?"
You rule.

alpo said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank You! You really made my day, no make that my month, by posting this track and great little write up on this band. I really thought The Rings were going to be bigger than The Cars, but I was wrong. All the tracks you mentioned are awesome, especially "Opposites Attract" and "Let Me Go". Love your blog, thanks for the hard work.

Chris said...

I own and love this record, I'm probably in the minority but I've always loved "This one's for the girls" too! I also have "Rhythm Method" though not as good, I still enjoy it more than most albums put out today.