My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://giantpanther.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Insipid Record Collection - Harry Nilsson

Since I was nine years of age when Midnight Cowboy was a box office smash, my first real exposure to Harry Nilsson was when his cover of Badfinger's Without You turned into instant AM Gold in 1971. Of course that is not altogether true since Harry penned "One" by Three Dog Night which was massive hit in 1970. I also watched about 1000 hours of The Courtship of Eddie's Father featuring Bill Bixby, but I didn't know the theme song for the TV Show was "Best Friend" by Harry Nilsson either at the time. His cover of Everybody's Talkin' netted Nilsson a Grammy Award and seemed to put him on the map in 1969, but Harry Nilsson didn't start really believing in his talent until he was endorsed by John Lennon who mentioned that he thought highly of him in an interview. They would go on to be infamous drinking companions later in the decade, but this is all about me (kidding!). Songs like Nilsson's version of Without You, Rod Stewart's cover of Tim Harding's Reason To Believe and other sappy fare like Climax's Precious and Few or Terry Jacks' Seasons in The Sun hit me like a ton of bricks as I was discovering the opposite sex for the first time. I couldn't have been more than 12 or 13 years old, but I was having serious anxiety attacks regarding who I would be sitting next to at lunch. At night behind closed doors? Forget it. Aside from my 3rd grade teacher Ms Conomos, my first quasi mutual love affair (sans the sex of course) was a girl named Valerie. I couldn't live if living was without her....or so Harry said. Oh the drama in those days. Never even kissed her if memory serves...story of my life as it turns out I'm afraid...

Nilsson Schmilsson came out in 1971. I think I owned about six records in those days; Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Volume I, The Best of Tommy James & The Shondells, The Rolling Stones' Let It Bleed, The Boxtops Greatest Hits, Donovan's Barabajagal, and The Beatles Let It Be. Not a bad starter kit if I don't say so myself looking back on it. I also had around 100 45 rpm records that I foolishly sold at a garage sale around that time so I could buy baseball cards. Who needs vintage Beatles 45s when you could own two copies of Yankees catcher Jake Gibbs' baseball card? If you said "who?" I wouldn't blame you. Goodbye Glad All Over by The Dave Clark Five. So long Ball of Confusion by The Temptations. Everything must go! Idiot. My point here is my Album Oriented Rock (AOR) days had yet to be realized so being cognizant of Harry Nilsson's Nilsson Schmilsson was not an option yet. I remember a kid named Don that I went to middle school with in rural NJ turning me onto several records simultaneously in the mid seventies. My recollection of those days is understandably foggy, but I remember our music teacher, Mrs Pritchard, was unbelievably cool about letting us listen to contemporary rock music back in the day. Suddenly I was keenly aware of Yes' Fragile, Black Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Led Zeppelin IV, Aerosmith's Toys in The Attic, the debut Kiss album, Don McLean's American Pie and Nilsson Schmilsson. The rest is history. At the expense of nearly everything of material value and a nice savings account I was spending my brains out on music. Not a lot has changed in 35 plus years I have to tell you.

OK, I'm going to tighten this up now. Many of you are familiar with the song "Coconut" from this record, but the best track on it has always been "Jump Into The Fire." Some of you may have first heard it when it was featured in the movie Goodfellas (a long time favorite of this blogger), but I was already very familiar with it. We used to have these no touch dances in middle school, but the cranky principal, with whom I was on a first name basis strangely enough, was cool about letting us play our music while we tried to work up the courage to ask our favorite classmates to dance. We used several songs that started fast and ended slow or vice versa. Stairway To Heaven, American Pie, Roundabout and Jump Into The Fire seemed to fit into that category. It was debatable if you could dance to any of them frankly, but we definitely tried. These are four iconic songs, but 35 plus years down the road I can barely listen to classic rock staples like Stairway To Heaven and Roundabout because they've been seared into my brain by non imaginative radio formats. American Pie remains a masterpiece to these ears, but you won't find me playing it much or singing along in some bar when it comes on. Call me too cool for school if you like, but it's a little too popular and preppy for me; at least in public. It's enough that I own a copy of the CD. But if I hear note one of Harry Nilsson's Jump Into The Fire? Look the bleep out. The drumming on this track were done by Derek & The Dominos drummer Jim Gordon and it's perfect. In fact the whole track is perfect. I've always been a huge fan of it. Thanks Don wherever you are!

Harry Nilsson's flat in London had its own colossal coincidental claim to fame; when he was out of the country he used to lend his living quarters to musician friends of his in the late seventies. Mama Cass Elliot of The Mama's & The Papa's and legendary Who drummer Keith Moon both died while staying in Harry's apartment roughly four years apart! Are you kidding me? After Moon's death a distraught Nilsson sold his flat to Pete Townshend and stayed in Los Angeles from then on. Harry Nilsson suffered a major heart attack in 1993 and died a year later of heart failure in 1994. He was 53 years old. Hard living apparently finally caught up to him. He had several other minor hits over the years such as Me and My Arrow, Good Times, Spaceman and as the writer of The Monkees version of his "Daddy's Song," but never again would he scale such heights. No matter. Nilsson Schmilsson is a tremendous record and was inducted into my own personal rock record Hall of Fame years ago. You can climb a mountain, you can swim the sea, you can Jump Into The Fire, but you'll never be free...hopefully I'll make Harry a new fan out there somewhere. Enjoy.


No comments: