My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://giantpanther.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 01, 2009

Passion Pit - Manners




A little useless peek into the world of giant panther. When I listen to music in Itunes, I always use the "star" ranking system for every song I come across. This way I can create smart playlists like, all hip hop three stars or greater. Good way to make sure an awful skit or intro doesn't pop into a party playlist on shuffle. Most end up at 3 stars, good chunk of 4, and 5 stars are reserved for tunes like This Must Be The Place or Tunnels.

If you are still reading this, you're probably wondering what any of this has to do with Passion Pit's new album. Me too. I just finished my first full listen of their new full length debut Manners. Every single song got 4 stars. Michael Angelakos and company can now die happy knowing they are safely and securely sitting at 4 stars across the board in my itunes, what else is there? Granted, this 4 star melee could be looking before I leap, after only one listen, but it's much more likely love at first sight.

I always love new talent sprouting out of my home town of Boston (Cambridge to be exact). Their EP got a lot of buzz last year, I must admit I wanted to love it, but it was a little scattered to get a regular rotation from me.

Their follow up LP Manners is a remarkable maturation for these guys. Every song is a winner, not as many stretches for Angelakos' falsetto, which on the EP at times could wear on you. I do this with severe hesitation, as I hate making comparisons, but I think it's worth it to help win new ears. If you like MGMT, give Passion Pit a chance, you won't be disappointed.

Layered synths, beats, melodies and harmonies make up the landscape of Manners, a well thought out complete piece, unlike John's Siouxsie post, which was littered with grammar eff-ups. I fart in your general direction John, Anonymous commenter and I are forming an interweb grammar police to get rid of web-scum like you. You "can can" count on us coming after you.

Go out and buy Passion Pit immediately, support up and coming local bands, and go see them live.

Passion Pit - Folds In Your Hands Alt Link

Passion Pit on Myspace
Buy Manners

1 comment:

indierocker said...

great band, you're right!!! (at least judging from the song you posted: i'll go for more...)