My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://giantpanther.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

One Track Mind - Marillion

I'm going to start mixing in some shorter passages next to my notoriously long entries. It will hopefully be a bit more digestible for whatever audience The Giant Panther has created. I'm calling the feature One Track Mind because I'm going to stick to individual cuts in some of my posts. Unfortunately for artists, but great for Apple, we live in an iPod world now that seems to exist solely for singles. I don't mean singles in the traditional sense as the song they play on the radio. I'm referring to the way we slice and dice only our favorite cuts from each CD or artist. It's regrettable from my point of view, but as I was making mixed tapes (remember those?) for my mobile entertainment needs for years (think the beach or just about any party where I got to be Mix Master Jay in the 80's or early 90's) so what's the difference right? The difference is most of today's music buyers are not listening to the whole CD. Nine out of ten times that is where the gems are. OK, I promised to keep things on the shorter side...here is a case in point...

I wouldn't dream of calling myself a Marillion aficionado. I would say I'm very well versed in the Peter Gabriel era Genesis though. I was just reading about Selling England By The Pound today in Classic Rock Magazine at the gym this morning. They run a cool feature called Every Home Should Have One where they feature a CD from days of yore and this Genesis record was this month's gem. If you don't own Selling England By The Pound I kind of feel sorry for you, but that is another story. I have been doing a bit of progging lately and came across my copy of Marillion's Marbles. You will notice I am not even attempting to go down the road of the long standing debate on the lead singing merits of Fish vs Steve Hogarth because I am definitely not qualified to weigh in on that matter. Fish, apparently the Sting of his genre since he had no need of a second name to identify him, left the band after the first four (sometimes) legendary albums beginning in 1983. In fairness, if your given name was Derek Dick you might be in search of alternatives too. That aside the band has more than thrived with Steve Hogarth manning the mike over the years. I want to draw your attention to a cut from 2004's Marbles called Neverland that I got stuck on the first time I heard it. It's an opus so strap yourselves in, but in my view it's worth the ride. It's got an other worldly cadence and a kind of driving operatic sound to it. Top that off with some voice echo and I'm in a trance. 21st century British Prog Rock at its finest. I was playing this song non stop for about two weeks last month and I'm just getting around to writing about it. I hope you like it. Check out the video on YouTube as well to really get the feel for it. Call them a poor man's Genesis if you must, but they need make no apologies in my book. I love to mix stuff like this in next to my normal (but widely varied) fare.

Marillion - Neverland.mp3

Marillion - Neverland.mp3 YSI

www.marillion.com

No comments: