My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://giantpanther.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, October 04, 2008

My Insipid Record Collection - The La's


As someone who absolutely lived, musically speaking, the 70's, 80's, & 90's as well as the present decade, it amazes me how some records remain a mainstay in your mind. It doesn't matter that I personally bought 158 other CDs in 1990 (according to my cataloguing software) and that many of them history will show were superior to this release. It doesn't matter that this record is more known for a song called "There She Goes" which, if the rumors are to be believed, is a reference to heroin coursing through the veins of the protagonist. It also doesn't matter to me that it sold very poorly or that they can barely give away copies these days. I was surprised to find out when I went to do some research on the band for this post, that they are from Liverpool or that Steve Lillywhite, of Simple Minds and U2 fame, produced the record. I don't know how I missed that, but I did. It sure doesn't sound like a record that was shunned by the band and abandoned to be pieced together by Lillywhite after they failed to get along during the recording sessions. If you believe what has been printed, the band allegedly played poorly in the sessions in the hopes of getting the project scuttled and getting a divorce from their producer. I don't know about any of that, but I still love this record to this day. I can't put my finger on it, but it somehow consistently hits my aural pleasure center.

If you like your alternative rock jangly and poppy, sort of like R.E.M. before they went completely soft, you will like this record. I'm no musician or engineer, but it feels like it was recorded in a hollow edifice. It sounds like an acoustic guitar punched up and recorded in 3D somehow. I know that makes no sense. Suffice to say it's a rockin' acoustic guitar record. The harmonies are terrific. Whether you are paying close attention to the music or you just have it on in the background I'm betting your soul will hear it. I do know not enough people like me latched onto this as the treasure trove of, well, Timeless Melodies that it is. Normally I would give you a destination to go support this band, but I think they don't want to be found. Enjoy.

No comments: